Wednesday, September 10, 2008

The Social Factor of WoW

Through Too Many Annas I was directed to a post by fellow blogger Leafy on WoW as a social environment. In it, Leafy discusses how WoW has become more than a game, but also another place to hang out with friends.

As a roleplayer, I mainly log on now to chat and roleplay with the friends I have made in game. It has become a second social life for me, the first being the one I have with my real life friends. While I have never met any of the people I play with in real life, I have gotten to know a few of them fairly well. The friendships I have with these individuals are ones that will probably persist even after I or they leave the game. Who knows, maybe I will get the opportunity to meet them in person as well.

I think for many people I know in game, mostly roleplayers mind you, the social interaction is what keeps them logging in. As such, I will probably continue to play this game in some capacity until my friends all decide to leave the game.

No comments: